- 8-week team-based physical activity competition
- Each team (department) selects a captain
- The captain sends weekly reminders and support
- You log minutes of physical activity in MapMyRun
- Team with greatest average minutes wins
- Physical activity is any body movement that works your muscles and requires more energy than resting.
- For D2M, you should only log bouts of moderate-to-vigorous intensity physical activity that lasts at least 10 consecutive minutes.
- On a scale of 0 to 10, moderate-intensity activity is a 5 or 6 and produces noticeable increases in breathing and heart rate. A person doing moderate-intensity activity can talk but not sing.
- On a scale of 0 to 10, vigorous-intensity activity is a 7 or 8. A person doing vigorous-intensity activity can’t say more than a few words without stopping for a breath.
- Types of physical activity that can be performed for D2M include aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities.
- Aerobic activity moves your large muscles, such as those in your arms and legs. Aerobic activity makes your heart beat faster than usual. You also breathe harder during this type of activity.
- Muscle-strengthening activities improve the strength, power, and endurance of your muscles.Muscle-strengthening activities also can be aerobic, depending on whether they make your heart and lungs work harder than usual.
- Examples of common physical activities that if performed at moderate-to-vigorous intensity can be counted during D2M:
- Gardening, such as digging or hoeing that causes your heart rate to go up
- Walking, hiking, jogging, running
- Water aerobics or swimming laps
- Bicycling, skateboarding, rollerblading, and jumping rope
- Ballroom dancing and aerobic dancing
- Tennis, soccer, hockey, and basketball (other sports)
- Doing pushups and situps, lifting weights, climbing stairs
- To learn more about physical activity, please visit the following websites:
What is D2M?
A flexible, 8-week team based physical activity competition between departments at Georgia State University. Each member logs their daily minutes of physical activity for their department (team) on a smart phone application, and the team with the most summed minutes at the end of the 8 weeks wins!
How do I participate?
- Registration for the D2M program begins on the first day of the spring semester.
- The D2M program will begin on February 6th, 2017 and continue for 8 weeks through April 2nd.
- You will sign up on the MapMyRun website or mobile app with your email or Facebook account.
- Upon registering, you will receive a “friend request” to be part of your department’s team!
- You log your minutes of physical activity (at least 10 mins of moderate intensity) each day on either the MapMyRun website or smartphone app.
Why should I participate?
- D2M is an inexpensive, easy, and fun way to set fitness goals, be physically active with friends and co-workers, and improve your health!
- This is a great way to begin your activity journey if you are not currently active!
- This is an inter-department competition! Help lead your department to a trophy!
- You will receive physical activity facts and tips throughout the process via the apps, email, and social media!